Due to the rise in the need for sanitization and disinfection of, well, everything we thought it makes sense to do a short guide on how to properly disinfect your mobile phone and accessories. Whether its because of COVID-19, your profession, a spill, or just your general aversion to bacteria and grime this guide will help you with the essentials for deep cleaning your phone and accessories.
What you will need:
- A microfiber cloth - this is important because other cloths can scratch your phone
- 70% Isopropyl Alcohol - don't go higher or lower, higher you may damage your phone, lower you will not kill everything
- A bowl
- Dish Soap
- Distilled Water
- Paper Clip or Tooth Pick
DO NOT USE:
Never use the following to clean your phone.
- Window cleaner or household cleaners
- Compressed air
- Aerosol spray cleaners
- Solvents (acetone, benzene, toulene)
- Abrasive powders
- Hydrogen peroxide
Disinfect & clean your mobile phone
1. Unplug and turn off your phone
2. Remove your phone case if you have one
3. Mix distilled water and 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
Mix these together in a 1 to 1 ratio in a spray bottle. Distilled water is especially important if you live in an area with hard water. Minerals in non-distilled hard water can scratch your screen. Shake the bottle to mix it well.
4. Spray your microfiber cloth
Spray your cloth not the phone. Do not over-wet the cloth.
5. Wipe down your phone front and back
6. Use a Q-Tip & tooth pic or paperclip to clean the smaller areas
Clean the smaller areas with a quick spray of the cleaning solution on a Q-Tip. Use a toothpick or a paper clip to clean lint out of your headphone jack and charging port.
7. Allow the phone to air dry for 15 Minutes
Complete these cleaning steps on a weekly basis to keep your phone relatively germ-free.
Clean your mobile phone case
To truly disinfect and clean your phone you must also clean your phone's case. Depending on the material of your case there are a few different cleaning methods.
- Silicon Cases - these can be cleaned by completely submerging in a bowl filled with warm water and dish soap. Gently wash with a cloth around textured edges, rinse and dry completely before re-inserting your phone.
- Hard Plastic Cases - Wipe down the case with your distilled water and alcohol solution. Use a cloth or Q-Tip dipped in the cleaning solution for more intricate areas.
- Leather Cases - clean with saddle soap, a special cleaning solution formulated for leather that also includes leather conditioner.
Clean your mobile phone earbuds or earpods
Spray a mist of your disinfectant solution on your earbuds, use a Q-Tip lightly sprayed to clean out smaller areas.